[MPlayer-users] Tearing (not really a mplayer issue)

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Feb 20 17:44:52 CET 2007

I have a GeForce 6600 running @ 1280x960 pixels, with a TwinView setup
(clone) of 1024x768 pixels put on TV-Out. In order to make TV-Out
working, I had to use the binary-only nvidia driver (is there a
nv-driver which can set up properly the TV-Out for a 6600?).

The only problem: I get tearing on the image on the TV when mplayer does
horizontal pans, as the refresh of the image does not align well with
the vertical refresh of the monitor.

Now I googled around a bit and found that it might be that the vrefresh
signal is not sent by the driver (xv)? is this true. Is there any
parameter to force xv to send such a signal, or is there something
different tweakable to get rid of the tearing, which really is the only
thing which still is inhibiting from enjoying my HTPC setup...