[MPlayer-users] How to find "technical differences" in MPEG?

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de karl-heinz-1950 at web.de
Tue Feb 20 04:57:25 CET 2007

> I use http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Thanks that works fine, but adds up some confusion...

That's the output Igot for the "small" file, I have added the values for the big files as long as they differ. The confusion here is that I have three bitrates, general, video and sound. What is the general bitrate?

General #0
Complete name        : /exchange/DVD1/DVD/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
Format               : MPEG-2 Program
Format/Family        : MPEG-2
File size            : 1024 MiB
PlayTime             : 1h 18mn
Bit rate             : 1819 Kbps (large file 2365 Kbps)

Video #0
Codec                : MPEG-2 Video
Codec profile        : Main at Main
Codec settings/Matri : Standard
PlayTime             : 1h 18mn
Bit rate             : 9800 Kbps (large file 9549 Kbps)
Bit rate mode        : CBR
Width                : 720 pixels (large file 704 pixels)
Height               : 576 pixels
Aspect ratio         : 4/3
Frame rate           : 25.000 fps
Standard             : PAL
Chroma               : 4:2:0
Interlacement        : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)   : 0.945

Audio #0
Codec                : AC3
PlayTime             : 1h 18mn
Bit rate             : 256 Kbps
Bit rate mode        : CBR
Channel(s)           : 2 channels
Sampling rate        : 48 KHz
ChannelPositions     : L R

It looks like that the video bitrate (unless it is read out of a header here as well) is really the same. the only significant difference is in the general bit rate, but what does this value stand for?

thanks,
K.