[MPlayer-users] playing .ass subtitles with mplayer

Ilja Kamps ikarus at ikarus.ath.cx
Thu Feb 8 19:56:57 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:46:22PM +0300, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:
> On Thursday 08 February 2007 18:21, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 2007, at 07.18, Saurabh Singhvi wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Is there any way to visualize the subtitles as-is that are in
> > > the .ass format (output by sabbu) ?? By that I do not mean to imply
> > > that mplayer does not recognize this format, because it does so.
> > > What I mean to ask for is a way to have the subtitles displayed in
> > > the positions and sizes as specified by the subtitle file.
> >
> > As far as I'm aware, those features of ASS haven't been implemented
> > into MPlayer yet, so the answer is "not yet."
>
> These are basic features, and they are implemented. Font sizes are not exactly
> as with VobSub, but generally very close.

Font sizes are exact (on the correct -ass-font-scale), however kerning
and layouting is slightly different, mainly due to libfreetype.

The problem really is that only text stuff is implemented, not ANY of
the more advanced features (drawing, rotating in X and Y planes,
including images, LINE BREAKS). However in practice it is quite
sufficient.