[MPlayer-users] mplayer breaks end of audio file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Feb 4 11:02:54 CET 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:01:17AM +0200, Sergey wrote:
>   Samples (279 KB and 40 KB):
>     http://www10.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=38951
>     http://www10.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=38953
> (open page and click "Download file" link near top of the page)

Better just go to
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/wavpcm/,
ahh.wav and madbear.wav

> UPDATE:
>   Starting from version near 1.0rc1 mplayer does not strip end of
>   file for -ao win32, but instead it plays extra noise just after
>   end of file. This had not happened before.

Seems like "correct" behaviour from that ao side.

>   It still strips end for -ao dsound.
>   (Last checked for dev-SVN-r22060-4.2.0)

Probably the uninit function in ao_dsound is broken.
It is supposed to play the remaining data till EOF, but instead it
seems to disable looping on the playback ring buffer, which does
something completely different...

> UPDATE2:
>   There're similar problems for linux version, but it depends
>   on audio driver being used (checked for 1.0rc1-4.1.1):
>   -ao oss:  there's a short 'noise' after end of file

correct from the ao side, demuxer side fixed in r22121

>   -ao alsa: there's noise, progress status stops updating before EOF

Behaviour is as expected. Status bar stops while MPlayer waits for ao to
empty its internal buffer.

>   -ao arts: there's noise, mplayer exits before EOF is played
>   (audio continues playing for a second after mplayer exits)

Huh? Both noise and early exit? How that? I don't have arts installed,
but the code looks okay. Though arts and esd are both crap for MPlayer.

>   -ao esd: no noise

Not tested, don't have it installed either.

>   -ao sdl: no noise, but mplayer does not stop after end of file
>   (plays silence forever)

Fixed but unless someone finds a way to detect the exact number of
samples buffered within SDL it will stay crap...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger