[MPlayer-users] Re: Minimal hw config for h264 720p ?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Feb 2 18:19:00 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 06:30:16 -0800 (PST)
Dave Henderson <dhenderson at digital-pipe.com> wrote:

> Is it just that h264 takes that much horsepower to decode the mpeg4
> versus dvd player's mpeg2?

Yes.  h.264 is incredibly CPU-intensive, compared to most other video
codecs.

While h.264 is technically MPEG-4 part10, most people that say MPEG-4
are talking about MPEG-4 part 2 (Divx/Xvid/FMP4/etc.).  MPEG-4 is better
than MPEG-2, and not as CPU-intensive as h.264.

> Should I have gone with another video container instead of the mkv?

The container hardly matters.  The video codec makes all the difference.

an