[MPlayer-users] Re: Minimal hw config for h264 720p ?

Dave Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Fri Feb 2 15:30:16 CET 2007

This may be a crazy question to ask regarding this thread, but why are dvd players able to play the videos without so much processing power?  Is it just that h264 takes that much horsepower to decode the mpeg4 versus dvd player's mpeg2?

I tried ripping some dvd's in their native resolution into mkv's (maybe less overhead versus avi file or mp4) and tried playing it on a 600mhz computer.  Wow, what a waste of time.  There is no way they are playing on that low of hardware.  The avi's ripped at 640x480 seem to play ok.  Should I have gone with another video container instead of the mkv?

Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont at free.fr> wrote: Loren Merritt  writes:

> Yes. ffh264 about 15% faster per clock cycle when running in 64bit mode.

I still have some digging left, but I know better what kind of
hardware I need to get.

Thanks everybody for all these informations.

Cheers