[MPlayer-users] libmpcodec and libavcodec~~

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 03:44:27 CET 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:11:56 +0800
boku <boku0712 at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, if my codec includes decoding of mpeg1/2/4 and h264.
> How can I do to replace those built-in codec like ffmpeg with my
> codec? I can see there's a match procedues for choosing which codec is
> suitable in Mplayer.
> Are there any steps or codes I should notice to make the replacement?

To add a decoder to MPlayer (and Mencoder), you have to add an entry to
codecs.conf and codecs.conf.h.  codecs.conf is used if you copy it into
your config path (eg. $HOME/mplayer/, /usr/local/etc/mplayer/, etc.).
codecs.conf.h is built-in when MPlayer is compiled, and is used if
codecs.conf isn't found.

In both files, the codec highest in the file, which supports your
video's format, will be used by default.  The others can always be used
instead by specifying them with -vc or -vfm (or -ac or -afm).  So, just
add your (eg. MPEG-4) codec to codecs.conf(.h) above the one that is
currently default, and yours will be used.

And please keep the conversation on-list.