[MPlayer-users] MEncode fails to find codecs

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:23:12 CET 2007

Ulf Magnusson pisze:

> I've installed the latest version of MPlayer from SVN with the
> following commands:

> $ configure --prefix=/Users/ulf/svnmp
> $ make
> $ make install

> I had installed x264 prior to this. MEncoder reports the following
> codecs to be available:

> $ mencoder -ocv help
> MEncoder dev-SVN-r25528-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU            1400  @ 1.83GHz (Family: 6,
> Model: 14, Stepping: 8)
> CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

> Available codecs:
>    copy     - frame copy, without re-encoding. Doesn't work with filters.
>    frameno  - special audio-only file for 3-pass encoding, see DOCS.
>    raw      - uncompressed video. Use fourcc option to set format explicitly.
>    lavc     - libavcodec codecs - best quality!
>    vfw      - VfW DLLs, read DOCS/HTML/en/encoding-guide.html.
>    qtvideo  - QuickTime DLLs, currently only SVQ1/3 are supported.
>    x264     - H.264 encoding

> When I try to encode a file using the command (I realize this might
> not produce good output for other reasons):

> $ mencoder ocourse.rm -o ipod.mp4                   \
> -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4         \
> -ovc x264                             \
> -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=aac        \
> -vf scale=320:240

> I get the following error:

> "
> Couldn't find video filter 'x264'.
> Failed to open the encoder.

> Exiting...
> "

> If I instead try

> $ mencoder ocourse.rm -o ipod.mp4     \
> -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4         \
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=libx264    \
> -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=aac        \
> -vf scale=320:240

> I get the error

> "
> Couldn't open video filter 'lavc'.
> Failed to open the encoder.

> Exiting...
> "

x264 haven't the default bitrate settings as other encoders so you must
add either:
  "-x264encopts qp=30:keyint=60"
or
"-x264encopts bitrate=400:keyint=60"
or
"-lavcopts vcodec=libx264:vqscale=30:keyint=60"
or
"-lavcopts vcodec=libx264:vbitrate=400:keyint=60"

man mplayer

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/