[MPlayer-users] BBC HD

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 15 01:52:48 CET 2007

> Is the BBC transmitting HD content at the moment.

Yes.

> How do you receive it?

It's a DVB-S signal originating from Astra 2D, the same satellite (and
transponder) that carries Sky; therefore, it appears in the Sky programme
guide. It's h.264 encoded at about 20mbps and is quite repetitive, really
being just a tech demo at this stage. There is reportedly other free-to-air
HD available; I don't know what, where from, or how.

I'm looking into ways to get it; I haven't yet done so. There are DVB-S PCI
cards available for around £50. You might be better off looking for one
that's forward compatible with the upcoming DVB-S2 standard, as a little
reading reveals that everything is planned to move to that standard shortly.
Those cards seem to be £85 to £120. From what I understand it is possible to
go and buy a £50 dish and a card from Maplin and watch current BBC HD on it,
given a computer capable of decoding and displaying the reasonably-demanding
h.264 signal. If you do this you should also get all of standard-def
Freeview and Sky, although of course most of the worthwhile Sky stuff is
encrypted. I wonder if Freeview is any more reliable off the sat than it is
off terrestrial...

There was or is a test around the Crystal Palace transmitter in London
regarding HD transmission over DVB-T, although it was described as a closed
test. If it's still running, and if you're near Crystal Palace, and if it is
unencrypted, you might be able to patch together a system capable of
receiving and displaying it. The BBC seem to be taking the position that HD
is too much of a bandwidth hog for terrestrial transmision, although I can't
say I'd argue with the idea of cutting the number of freeview channels by
75%...

I have no idea what if any relevance mplayer has to this, other than that it
is attractive because it has a very fast h.264 decoder, and it's capable of
dumping raw streams to disk to allow you to losslessly record the off air
signal. I don't know if - and I doubt, from reading around the subject -
that it is capable of addressing DVB-S or DVB-S2 cards with HD content in
the way we want. Presumably this will happen at some point although this
sort of thing tends to take several years to become really usable on
opensource projects.

So that's where we are. Any more info welcome.

Phil