[MPlayer-users] My question of the hour, does anyone know source inside out?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Dec 22 13:55:48 CET 2007

RC wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:39:39 -0500 The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> However, it sounds like you are seeing a 'DOS window' (command
>> prompt) opened when MPlayer launches, and you are asking for that
>> window to not be closed when MPlayer exits; if this is the case,
>> then I suspect you need to investigate the options of the program
>> which is behind that window, since MPlayer is not creating that
>> window and so cannot affect its disappearance.
>
> Windows doesn't work that way...  When a program outputs text on the
> "console" a CMD.exe prompt is automatically spawned, and exits when
> the program does.

Yes, I know.

> You can't change that behavior.

I did not know that for certain, but either way, it is a problem of "the
program creating the window" (which in this case is Windows itself!),
not anything which MPlayer can affect.

> -idle will probably work well enough...
>
> If you wanted to, however, you could launch MPlayer from a batch file
> with "pause" after mplayer, so the dos prompt will stay open until
> you hit Enter.

I did think of that, yes. However, it would not provide the ability to
enter commands in that window after the program exited; aside from the
ability to see console output, that's the only reason I can think of to
want to do something like this in the first place.

> Or perhaps invoke cmd.exe directly, with mplayer.exe "%1" as an
> arguement.

That might work, I'd have to test.

--
       The Wanderer