[MPlayer-users] My question of the hour, does anyone know source inside out?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Dec 22 03:43:27 CET 2007

Sara Glade wrote:

[that the Wanderer wrote:]

>> In answer to your question: if you want MPlayer's playback window
>> to remain open after playback finishes (e.g. so that you can send
>> it commands via slave mode), you need the '-idle' option.
>
> It appears, please correct me if I am mistaken, but I need a
> so-called 'slave-idle.patch' to enable this functionality? :-)

I've never heard of this, as far as I remember. Certainly I have a hard
time thinking of a use for '-idle' which would not involve opening a
file after the program goes into idle, which AFAIR can only be done via
slave mode (and perhaps via the OSD menu, but I've never had occasion to
even find out how to bring that up); if '-idle' would not work with
slave mode, there seems little point to having it at all.

I would recommend that you try it without the patch first, and if it
fails to work at all, then perhaps consider attempting to apply the
patch (and/or, as is more likely, adapt the patch to be able to be
applied to the most recent version of the source code).

> Please check out this link which appears to be this patch?,
>
> http://www.itdp.de/mplayer-dev-eng/2005-02/txt00077.txt
>
> There is no extra stuff in this link that isn't part of the patch,
> random characters or whatnot -- this indeed is a full cut-and-paste
> patch that can go somewhere? :-) Please help me out. (see below steps
> I use)

Yes, the contents of that file is nothing but patch. However, it will
almost certainly not apply correctly to the current version of MPlayer,
which has undergone extensive development in the time since February of
'05 (much less since the switch from CVS, which the patch appears to
have been made with, to SVN).

> If this is the case, then I am almost home free.  I have actually
> gotten pretty good at compiling, and have a full Windows MSYS/MinGW
> environment set up.  I have been able to create MPLAYER executables.
>
> I am just not sure how to apply patches.  Could you clear me thru
> proper steps to implement these kinds of patches?

Using the 'patch' command, of course. You go to the directory under
which the files to be patched are located and run patch with the
appropriate patch file as its stdin; in this case you would want

patch -p0 < /path/to/txt000077.txt

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.