[MPlayer-users] Possible bug in wav channel order playback

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Dec 14 03:22:03 CET 2007

Shane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Problem confirmed in latest SVN (r25386).  MLP encoded to
> wav via ffmpeg, wav channel order is l/r/c/lfe/lb/rb as is
> normal for wav is ordered incorrectly by mplayer.  The same
> file encoded to flac plays correctly with mplayer.

Please don't top post.
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Are you sure that is the "normal" WAVE channel order? If so, then
MPlayer's behavior may be due to my error in providing Ulion with a
certain 6-channel WAVE file for setting up internal channel reordering.
http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Documents/AudioFormats/WAVE/Samples.html
http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Documents/AudioFormats/WAVE/Samples/Microsoft/6_Channel_ID.wav

If that file is not representative, then we'll have to correct MPlayer's
WAVE channel reordering. At this point, unfortunately, I'm not aware of
any "standard" order for WAVE. So far I haven't found anything that
looks authoritative--only some scattered and conflicting forum/mailing
list posts.

Samples are hard to find; there don't seem to be any actually-used files
in the wild, either, or else I'm not looking in the right place.

-Corey