[MPlayer-users] Delete a sequence in a video?

Larry Reznick lreznick at idistream.com
Wed Dec 12 18:40:04 CET 2007

The Wanderer wrote:
> RC wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:25:04 +0100 Michel Bardiaux
>> <mbardiaux at mediaxim.be> wrote:
>>

>>> The man is useful to remind one of how a specific option behaves;
>>> but to find one you dont know even the name of?
>>>
>> The Wanderer (twice now) told you exactly what the name of it is.
>>

> Er... RC?
>
> The person you're responding to is Michel Bardiaux, not the OP. I rather
> suspect that he already knew the option name before I posted it.
>
> I think the question he is asking is "how is someone who, like the OP,
> did not know the name of the option supposed to find it out without
> asking, since the man page is long enough to make reading it
> prohibitive?". I do not have an especially good answer to this question.

When searching for a feature never before used to find out what might be
available, one needs a little imagination. Thinking of alternative names
describing the feature is helpful. For example, in the original question
Pascal Kelm wrote that he wanted to delete sequences. Searching for
"delete" in the man page only has one hit, and it isn't relevant to his
requirement. Searching for "erase" is fruitless, and "remove" is
interesting, but not relevant to his need. However, searching for "skip"
is very helpful. It turns out that the "i" keyboard option is documented
with the word "skip" and mentions the -edlout mode and the "EDL"
facility. Having got the hint, if one searches for "edl" the
understanding begins to form. Searching through the man page or through
Web pages isn't difficult. Thinking of what to search for is slightly
harder.

--Larry