[MPlayer-users] Using -audiofile in Mac OS X

Philip Jacob Smith pj41985 at ecstaticlyrics.com
Wed Dec 5 15:19:08 CET 2007

I can't get "-audiofile" to work in Mac OS X.

Command line:  /Applications/MPlayer\ OSX.app/Contents/MacOS/MPlayer\
OSX "mf://video/*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -audiofile video/audio.wav

It works in Linux, but in Mac OS X, the video plays without the
audio.  MPlayer will play the audio alone if I tell it to just play
the audio, but it won't play it along with the video.

MPlayer output:

Pj at awesomecross:~/video/test$ /Applications/MPlayer\ OSX.app/Contents/
MacOS/MPlayer\ OSX "mf://final/*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -audiofile final/
audio.wav
MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
Model: 15, Stepping: 10)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
Playing mf://final/*.jpg.
[mf] search expr: final/*.jpg
[mf] number of files: 9894 (39576)
[demux_mf] file type was not set! trying 'type=jpg'...
VIDEO:  [IJPG]  0x0  24bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
=
=
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)
=
=
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 3)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 5 -> 4
SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from yuv420p to yuyv422 using MMX2
SwScaler: using 4-tap MMX scaler for horizontal luminance scaling
SwScaler: using 4-tap MMX scaler for horizontal chrominance scaling
SwScaler: using n-tap MMX scaler for vertical scaling (BGR)
SwScaler: 320x240 -> 320x240
VO: [macosx] 320x240 => 320x240 Packed YUY2

The option seems to be ignored.  I don't get an error if I specify a
file that doesn't exist.

I'd really love for this to work because I've been using MPlayer along
with ffmpeg and some Perl scripts as a video editor.  At first I did
so in Linux because I couldn't find a video editor that worked, or
that I could install, and now that I'm in MacOS I've found that iMovie
won't do 320x240, and it apparently hates the AVI files created by my
digital camera, even though they play in Quicktime.  So I just want to
do things the way I was doing them in Linux, as editing with Perl
scripts is rather fun anyway.  If I come up with an idea, like making
scrolling credits with a little video of people scrolling next to
their names, I can do it, and it looks rather impressive to see
several pieces of video on the screen at once, but it's as simple as a
Perl script that uses ImageMagick to composite the frames together
along with successive portions of a really tall image I created in a
graphics program with the text to be scrolled on it.  I imagine I'm
having more fun with these Perl scripts than I would have with a real
video editor anyway, but it doesn't work if I don't have MPlayer to
play random samples as I'm working on a project.

I also thought I would simplify things for myself by making a symlink
from /usr/local/bin/mplayer to /Applications/MPlayer\ OSX.app/Contents/
MacOS/MPlayer\ OSX, but for some reason that doesn't work.  Anyone
know why?