[MPlayer-users] Font Config and DVD Seek question, thank you for everyones help so far! :-)

Sara Glade saraglade at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 10:26:11 CET 2007

> Problem:
>
> Is there some command line switch to allow a file which cannot be
> 'seeked backward' the ability to do so thru buffering? Is this a
> way (sorry I am ruffling through lots of posts and trying to figure
> this out) for files that cannot be seeked backwards, I get the
> error message 'Cannot seek backward in linear streams".  Are they
> stuck this way? :-)

use the cache, but be aware that
1) with the cache enabled many features of mplayer don't work
2) most likely the "can't seek back in linear stream" message is due
to some bug or something wrong in your command line.
How did you trigger it?

I basically have a VOB file that was joined, 4+ GB on one file.  It plays fine simply using

> mplayer videoof.vob

However, when I try seeking backwards it generates the error I mentioned.  I've read around these newsgroup parts that this may be due to the fact I've lost the index?  I've read about rebuilding a playlist is the key to fixing it, but I may be wrong and have no idea where to start with that.  Any clues? :-)  What would be good way to run that VOB so I can potentially be able to seek backwards?  Have fun day, best-Sara