[MPlayer-users] Suggested Low Bitrate Encoding Options

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 03:56:09 CEST 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:41:54 +0200
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> While I'd be biased towards ffmpeg, I think there must be something
> going horribly wrong with xvid, that is just too bad to be plausible
> without some major bug (though possibly one in the testing method, the
> way rate control works single frames can't really be used to compare
> codecs).

I think you simply don't understand just how much trouble I went through
to get lavc to look that good...  Using FMP4 with the standard
mbd=2:trell:v4mv will turn out a blocky mess worse than even Xvid...
That's why I started my little encoding experiment here, and that FMP4
image is using all the options I described at the start of this thread.

It's a very hard video to encode, and I'm using a low bitrate (600k) to
really stress all the codecs.

If you'd like a copy of the 300MB source vob to test it yourself, or any
of the ~40MB (variously encoded) videos, just tell me where you'd like
them uploaded.  You could also buy the Chronicles of Riddick
(theatrical) NTSC DVD and encode Chapter 6.