[MPlayer-users] ?[Patch]?XF86AudioLowerVolume/XF86AudioRaiseVolume

Michael Mauch michael.mauch at gmx.de
Wed Aug 29 18:37:46 CEST 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 03:52:31AM -0700, RC wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:18:13 +0200
>> michael.mauch at gmx.de (Michael Mauch) wrote:
>>
>> > the volume up/down keys on my keyboard send XF86AudioRaiseVolume and
>> > XF86AudioLowerVolume. Are these supposed to work, or should I map them
>> > to something else?
>>
>> I certainly wouldn't want them known to mplayer.  I much prefer binding
>> those to exec an external program (eg. aumix) so they work system-wide,
>> rather than trying to get each individual app to recognize them.

Hmm, but AudioPause/Stop/Prev/Next are also known to mplayer.

And if mplayer knows these keys, it can work with -softvol (my S/PDIF
out doesn't have a hardware volume control) and we get a nice visual
feedback on the OSD.

>> After all, your method only works if the window is focused.

Yes, true, that is a problem.

> Hmm. I think that any such global binding would still take preference
> over these, so this patch shouldn't change anything in your situation?

I tried with xbindkeys and with the KDE key binding tool: they take
precedence, mplayer doesn't see the key presses anymore if they are
bound by xbindkeys or KDE.

Regards...
		Michael