[MPlayer-users] Suggested Low Bitrate Encoding Options

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 07:30:08 CEST 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:15:40 -0700
Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> Try vrc_eq="(tex+10^8*mcVar)^0.6". That's my current favorite, and,
> though it isn't particularly tuned, it works well enough for me.
> High-motion scenes should look much better and low-motion scenes
> should  look very slightly worse (that's the tradeoff).

With my test video, high motion scenes don't look any better at all, and
low motion scenes look much, much worse.  Same with/without vqcomp=0.7.
Perhaps it just doesn't mix well with my other options (*_mask)?

For your suggestions from the other thread:

*cmp=2 makes my clip _far_ more blocky in several places (where-ever it
was slightly blocky without *cmp=2 to begin with), it makes the rest
just slightly more blocky than normal.  It certainly doesn't improve
quality, anywhere.

qns=1 looks slightly worse/blockier throughout.
qns=2 has some odd effects, discoloring the occasional macroblock, and
slightly changing some artifacts (to different artifacts).  In any case
it really doesn't improve anything.

I've tried vb_strategy=1 with the full range of values. b_sensitivity=5
seems to be the best of them, but it's still doesn't do nearly as well
as vb_strategy=2.  I guess the extra encoding time is worthwhile.

sc_factor=6 has nominal effect.  Perhaps just barely lower quality, if
anything.