[MPlayer-users] Skew between seek and get_time_pos

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Tue Aug 21 22:36:20 CEST 2007

Joey Parrish wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Peter Seibel <peter at gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

>> Okay, so I think the problem is with seek and it happens with .wma files
>> but not with .wav or .mp3. That is, if I'm playing an .wma file and I
>> seek to a particular timestamp it actually seeks to somewhere earlier in
>> the file. The timestamp returned by get_time_pos then accurately
>> represents where it seeked to. The difference between where I asked it
>> to seek and where it actually went gets larger the farther I am into the
>> file. This does not happen, as I say, with .wav or .mp3 files.
>
> The same happens (IIRC) for VBR mp3's.  So I think it's a limitation
> of seeking into VBR streams without an index.  It may be seeking to
> (average bitrate according to header * time position) or some such.

So is there:

  a) No way to fix this given the limitations of WMA files?

  b) An easy way to fix this that simply requires someone (maybe me) to
do some work?

  c) Some way to fix this that is probably more work than it's worth?

-Peter

Peter Seibel                     : peter at gigamonkeys.com
A Billion Monkeys Can't be Wrong : http://www.gigamonkeys.com/blog/
Practical Common Lisp            : http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/