[MPlayer-users] How to force SSA subtitles size to constant one ?

Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλ Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλ
Tue Aug 14 12:37:14 CEST 2007

First of all, sorry for the delay, but gmail insists that your email
is spam, and I have to periodically check my spam folder to retrieve
your email :P

On 11 Αυγ 2007, at 11:40 ΜΜ, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:

> On Sunday 12 August 2007, Παναγιώτης
> Κατσαλούλης wrote:
>>
>> The "actual size" is what *any* application is showing, when I select
>> the font size (i.e. when I say "Arial 24").
>> Actually, if I disable -ass parameter and just display the subtitles,
>> mplayer uses  the same font metrics with "other size".
>>
>> So it *has* to be an issue with -ass.
>>
>> Anyhow, do you have any idea how can I show fonts with "proper
>> size" (i.e. what all other applications are showing) with -ass
>> parameter?
>> Or any method to "convert" between metrics?
>>
>> PS: the problem appears is in all major platforms: Linux, Mac,
>> Windows XP
>
> Try this patch. It will also print font sizes as they are passed to

I applied this patch (which seems to disable font calculation :P )

With this patch, the font size is as expected. It has exactly the
same size with the OS metrics and what mplayer displays without the -
ass parameter.

I don't know how much importance is compatibility with OS/2  or with
VSFilter (since font size is again autoscaled depending video size),
but I believe it is much straight forward to support same font sizes
with the underneath platform, than what VSFilter does.

Test performed on Linux.