[MPlayer-users] How to force SSA subtitles size to constant one ?

Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλ Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλ
Sun Aug 5 01:57:16 CEST 2007

On 05 Αυγ 2007, at 2:45 ΠΜ, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:

> On Sunday 05 August 2007, Παναγιώτης
> Κατσαλούλης wrote:
>> On 04 Αυγ 2007, at 11:27 ΜΜ, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:

>>> No, -ass-font-scale multiplies all font sizes by a fixed amount.
>>> Different
>>> styles will look differently. What you meant is probably -ass-force-
>>> style
>>> FontSize=(desired size * PlayResY / video height).
>>
>> Well, if I just want to keep the "original" font size, i.e. the one
>> described in the ssa/ass file (and not a constant size all over) ,
>> then it is better to use -ass-font-scale instead of -ass-force-style
>> - right?
>
> Keeping original font size is the default behaviour. If you want to
> proportionally increase or decrease all font sizes, use -ass-font-
> scale.

"Visible"  font sizes are automatically adjusted, so it is not really
the default behaviour ;)
In a small video, the font sizes are rather small, as we have already
discussed :)

>> Moreover, if the PlayResY is not defined, I have seen this message:
>> [ass] PlayResX undefined, setting 917.
>> Is this a constant number? Or is it somewhat calculated?
>
> It is calculated as PlayResX / (video AR). If both PlayResX and
> PlayResY are
> undefined, they are set to 384x288.

OK, so I understand the safest way to make sure that the font sizes
are correctly displayed is to set PlayResX & PlayResY to actual movie
dimentions ;-)

PS: I tried to do like this and it seems to work. Thank you for your
guidelines!