[MPlayer-users] compiling svn with dvdnav support

William Norfleet williamnorfleet2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 20:21:19 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> obviously eithe ryou have 2 dvdnav-config in your system
> (find / -name dvdnav-config, in this case remove the old one)
> or

> try to compile dvdnav with ./configure2
> --with-dvdread=/usr/include/dvdread/
> and reinstall

Many thanks to all, especially Nico, for the help.  To summarize this thread for the
benefit of another end-user who might enounter it, this is how I enabled dvdnav support
for svn mplayer under Fedora Core 5:
All steps, except the last (as noted), are done as a normal user.
Mplayer source goes in /home/bill/opt/mplayerfiles/mplayer.
Libvdnav source goes in /home/bill/opt/mplayerfiles/libdvdnav.
Compiled binaries go in /home/bill/mplayer.
[bill at desk ~]$ cd /home/bill
[bill at desk ~]$ mkdir mplayer
[bill at desk ~]$ cd /home/bill/opt/mplayerfiles
[bill at desk mplayerfiles]$ svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdnav libdvdnav
	<snip>
	Checked out revision 951.
[bill at desk mplayerfiles]$ cd /home/bill/opt/mplayerfiles/libdvdnav/
<make and install, among other things, libdvdnav* files in /home/bill/mplayer/lib/ :>
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ ./configure2 --prefix=/home/bill/mplayer/
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ make
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ make install
<make and install, among other things, libdvdnavmini* files in /home/bill/mplayer/lib/ :>
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ ./configure2 --prefix=/home/bill/mplayer/
--with-dvdread=/usr/include/dvdread/
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ make
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ make install
[bill at desk libdvdnav]$ cd /home/bill/mplayer/bin
[bill at desk bin]$ ./dvdnav-config --minilibs && echo I AM USING THE RIGHT VERSION OF DVDNAV
	-L/home/bill/mplayer/lib -ldvdnavmini -lpthread
	I AM USING THE RIGHT VERSION OF DVDNAV
[bill at desk bin]$ cd /home/bill/opt/mplayerfiles/mplayer
[bill at desk mplayer]$ svn update
	<snip>
	Updated to revision 23992.
[bill at desk mplayer]$ make distclean
[bill at desk mplayer]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/bill/mplayer/ --enable-xmms --enable-gui
--enable-largefiles --with-dvdnav-config=/home/bill/mplayer/bin/dvdnav-config
--disable-dvdread-internal
	<snip>
	Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... yes
	Creating config.mak
	Creating config.h
	<snip>
[bill at desk mplayer]$ make
[bill at desk mplayer]$ make install
as root: [root at desk lib]# ln -s /home/bill/mplayer/lib/libdvdnav.so.4
/usr/lib/libdvdnavmini.so

Again, many thanks to all!