[MPlayer-users] RFH: MEncoder Crash

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Apr 20 02:59:51 CEST 2007

Eric Watson wrote:
> Give me a hint... What additional information is required? Eric.

Don't consider any of these points to be flames. I can tell you're new
to this sort of thing; however, you're going to have to do a little more
work on your own before you can get much help.

1. Top-posting is generally considered annoying on most technical
mailing lists I'm aware of, and certainly on this one. Bottom posting or
interleaved posting is much better for preserving past discussion where
it is relevant.
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/bottom-posting.html

2. Your mail client has fairly rotten quoting and rewrapping. I'd ditch
Outlook Express if I were you; otherwise, you might want to try this.
That page also describes what I mean by "rotten quoting and rewrapping".

3. I don't want to just repeat information in the documentation. Did you
read the page at the URL I sent in my last message? Take a look at the
subsections that page links too, as well. If you have more specific
questions then, feel free to ask them.

4. Here's a hint, though. Your initial message indicated that you were
using MediaCoder, which appear to be a 3rd-party front-end to mencoder.
We don't have any objection to that, of course, but we're not going to
debug a front-end. You need to find out the exact mencoder command line
that MediaCoder is using and use that to run mencoder directly and get
the information requested in the documentation. I don't know how to find
the mencoder command line, since I've never used MediaCoder, but chances
are it gets printed in a status box somewhere; consult the MediaCoder
documentation or ask on MediaCoder's mailing lists, forums, or whatever
user help community they have.

-Corey