[MPlayer-users] can't use dual core

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:16:29 CEST 2007

On 4/19/07, socke <socke-99 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem, I can't use both cores. I have compiled recent
> versions of both xvid and mplayer, but I cant get it work on both cores,
> even with threads=2 (or higher) in the options.

-lavdopts threads=2

That works for decoding with lavc on linux. Helps a little, not much.

Decoding for X264 you have to compile the x264 source code yourself  and
configure using the --enable-pthreads before compiling and installing. And
then you have to compile the mplayer source code after installing your own
x264. And then you should read the manual on how to use the threads when
encoding. Decoding using the threads is very efficient using threads.

But the dual PIII 800Mhz system I use typical runs at about 25-44 % CPU
decoding an h264 avi without the threads option, but IRQ balancing is
installed as one of the debian packages. So that helps some on SMP system.