[MPlayer-users] Re: Mencoder codec location

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:50:00 CEST 2007

Terry Corbet <tcorbet <at> ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I have read the documentation concerning the placement of the codecs in the
> case of using mplayer on a
> windows platform, and have placed the downloaded codecs in that directory.
> I am, however, running
> mencoder and do not find any indication of where it looks for codecs.

As far as I know, MPlayer and MEncoder look in the same place for codecs.
Can MPlayer play the file?

Near the top of the MEncoder output (you will probably have to redirect it to a
file to see it) you should see a line like:

Configuration: --prefix=/mingw --enable-static --codecsdir=codecs

You may need -v to turn it on.

In my case, the path is relative. MEncoder will look for a directory called
codecs in the directory where MEncoder lives.

On my system, I have:

c:\
...MPlayer
......codecs\
......mplayer\
......svn\
.........mencoder.exe
.........mplayer.exe
......mencoder.exe
......mencodersvn.exe
......mplayer.exe
......mplayersvn.exe

c:\MPlayer\mplayer.exe is an official release.
The svn subdirectory where I build mplayer does not have a codecs directory,
so when I run MPlayer or MEncoder in there, I have a problem. I copy
svn\mplayer.exe to c:\MPlayer\mplayersvn.exe. C:\MPlayer is in my %PATH%.

  Here is my error message:
> Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
> IMediaObject ERROR: 00B45A34  no such class object (0x80004001 : -2147467263)
> Failed to create DMO filter
> ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmvadvd.dll.
[cut]
> The wmvadvd.dll file indeed is in the codecs sub-directory, but is not being
found.

Maybe the DLL was found, but not initialized. Maybe there is a
dependency that is not being met, such as an up-to-date Windows Media Player.
You could also try manually registering the DLL with:

cd \windows\System32
regsvr32 wmvadvd.dll