[MPlayer-users] Volume too loud in converted wav files

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Tue Apr 17 14:35:08 CEST 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 18:43, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Sunday 15 April 2007 5:15 pm, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I have some DVDs that have music I want to listen to in my CD
> > player.
>
> Hello Hal,
>
> I don't know why you are complicating your life. If you just want to
> extract the audio from a DVD so you can later burn it on a CD-R
> (Audio CD) do this:
>
> mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 3 -ao pcm:fast:file=output.wav
>
> This will create output.wav corresponding to the audio portion of
> chapter 3. Change it accordingly.  Then you can use K3b and create an
> Audio Project and it will perform the necessary convertions to the
> file (behind the scenes).

It was a while before I could actually try this.  I wrote a simple
script in bash to process all the vob files in a DVD.  I produced 3
files for each vob:
- 48,000 .wav directly from the vob file
- 44,100 .wav directly from the vob file
- 44,100 .wav downsampled from the 48,00 .wav

It turned out the maxed out volume issue was due to the source.  It's a
concert file, so I guess that's no surprise.  Producing a 44,100 rate
wav directly from the vob files gave me a lower volume than the 44,100
wav file downsampled from the 48,000 file and had no problem with pops
and clicks, so that's the one I'm using to create the CDs.

Thanks for the help on this.  It's nice to know the answer was a much
easier solution.  I don't know why the web page I had been using as a
guide didn't include a one step conversion in the first place.

Hal