[MPlayer-users] trying to convert MJPEG

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Sun Apr 15 22:31:00 CEST 2007

On 15 Apr 2007 14:40:33 -0400, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> try adding -twolameopts br=128 -srate 44100 -af lavcresample=44100.
>
> Since it is mono, you can probably use a lower bitrate and sample rate
> without affecting how it sounds.  twolame --help will give you a lot of
> information about legal sample rates and legal bitrates for each supported
> sample rate.

Thanks, that was helpful.  I did get mencoder to run to completion, and
mplayer could play the file.  Unfortunately, I ran into the usual old problem
that the file will not play in XP.  It is apparently not an audio problem.  I
tried several sampling rates and also "-oac copy" and "-nosound" to no avail.

The full two-pass command I expected to work was:

mencoder lizard.avi \
  -oac twolame -twolameopts br=128 -srate 44100 -af lavcresample=44100 \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:trell:vpass=1 \
  -o /dev/null

mencoder lizard.avi \
  -oac twolame -twolameopts br=128 -srate 44100 -af lavcresample=44100 \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:trell:vpass=2 \
  -o lizard.mpg

These lavc settings have produced files that play under XP when I have copied
from DVDs.  For some reason when I use them to reencode the AVI file from the
digital camera, they fail.  The original AVI plays anyway.  I was just hoping
to reduce its size by doing the video encoding with something better than
MJPEG.

Thanks again.