[MPlayer-users] Occasional tinny sound on radio/TV streams.

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Mon Apr 9 04:50:27 CEST 2007

Just curious..

I mostly use mplayer to listen to radio streams and occasionally I get
a badly distorted sound with a metallic resonance especially
noticeable on solo piano pieces.

I initially thought it might be a problem with my inexpensive "sound
system" - a no-brand thingy that I paid $19.95 for in CompUSA .. but I
eventually found that if I CTRL-C out and restart the problem goes away.

As far as I can tell once it "goes away" it doesn't come back.

I mostly listen to the NY Times' WQXR station, which has a reputation
for high quality broadcasts .. so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do
with them.

If anyone has experienced a similar phenomenon and figured out what was
causing it it, I would be interested.

Thanks,
cga