[MPlayer-users] Thoughts on "pre-decoding" of compressed sound?

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 05:58:48 CEST 2007

On 4/2/07, Richard Bromley <rbromley256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To summarize: for playing DVDs, is it at all beneficial to do the following?
>
> mplayer -ao pcm:fast:file=sound.wav dvd:// &&
> mplayer -audiofile sound.wav dvd://

If the issue shows up in the first 60 seconds of video, try this:
mplayer -ao pcm:fast:file=sound.wav -frames 1800 dvd://
mplayer -audiofile sound.wav -frames 1800 dvd://

This will do 1800 video frames, thus giving you a quick way to test
the scenario as opposed to decoding the whole dvd title.

BTW, most of your analysis isn't far off.  Increased I/O isn't the
same as increased computation, but they could both become bottlenecks.
 In any case, sometimes the best way to find out it just to try it and
see.

--Joey