[MPlayer-users] Containers

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Mon Apr 2 21:06:02 CEST 2007

Mattia wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:35:42 +0200
> Nico Sabbi <nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>

>>containers that have support for storing both pts and dts in their
>>headers: mpeg*, mp4/mov, mkv (all of the above suck in some or many
>>respects) or nut :)
>

> Can you please explain why matroska sucks?
> This isn't the first negative comment I read about matroska.

because Matroska handles everything with special cases (read whichever
mkv demuxer you stumble upon and see how nice it is) and because
for the sake of "feature-richness" they moved to the transport layer
what belongs to the application layer (menus, navigation and maybe
other amenities)

> Do you really suggest nut?

as long as you target a pc and not a STB there's no reason to avoid nut

> It seems to me that nobody uses this; there are no examples on internet.

ffmpeg -i .... output.nut