[MPlayer-users] Understanding restrictions on use of MPlayer in "systems"

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 2 09:04:00 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:46:04PM -0700, Warrick Wilson wrote:
> So, back to my question: What's the point at which the integration/usage of
> MPlayer becomes "too integral" so that I'd be required to GPL the entire
> solution?

As long as you're just writing a front-end that calls an unmodified
MPlayer (possibly with -wid option to embed the playback window) I
don't think anyone will try to claim that your program is a derivative
work of MPlayer and make you GPL the whole thing. If you'll be doing
anything more invasive, I'd recommend providing more details and
asking for developers' opinions (as well as getting a lawyer's advice)
before proceeding.

Keep in mind too that you're still bound by the terms of the GPL when
distributing MPlayer, even when the GPL does not apply to your own
program. So, if you will be distributing this "integrated solution",
you need to make it clear that MPlayer is free software independent of
your front-end, that it's under GPL, provide a copy of the GPL and
satisfy the conditions for ensuring that the recipient is able to get
source to the exact version of MPlayer that you're distributing, etc.

Rich