[MPlayer-users] Re: SVN Compilation in Win XP: Configure ismissing???

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:49:47 CEST 2007

Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
>Hello, John,
>

>Just would like to know your opinion -- I've found a tool called MINGW
>Studio - it includes an IDE and MINGW tools set as a compiler. Would it be
>helpful here? Or is it better just to install all what mingw.org suggests?

You have to "configure", then "make". Make will simply call gcc, so as long
as gcc is in the path, you won't have a problem. An IDE will not help with
that. If you are going to use Mingw, then you *must* install MSYS also.

The various libraries are optional depending on the features that you
require. So, if you do not require LIVE555, for example, you do not have to
install it. As it says on the LIVE555 home page, it is used "for
standards-based RTP/RTCP/RTSP/SIP multimedia streaming". I don't think I
need it, but one of the things that I like most about MPlayer is that it can
play almost anything (of course you have to enable support for the "thing").

>>>To this moment I've discovered (you can evaluate my Linux skills...) that
>>>need to run sh.exe with "-o igncr" option in order to be able to compile
>>>"configure" in Windows.
>>
>>Something is wrong. That should not be necessary.
>
>Nevertheless it is just so. sh.exe from CygWin hates <CR> symbols... I've
>used dos2unix.exe to convert file encoding. Then it works fine.

If you extracted the source from an archive using WinZip, you need to turn
off automatic conversion between DOS and Unix.

>>You need to install gcc (the C compiler).
>
>... Though a lot of messages, showing found or not found options, were
>indicated. Is there any "typically good" template of this listing? Or how
>could I check if all goes OK or there are some issues?

As I said, by default, Windows has none of what you need. You only need to
read the section
at the end, where it mentions the enabled and disabled drivers and codecs.
The documentation
should explain what these are, but as a quick example:

  Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: ftp tv live555 cddb cdda dvdread dvdnav vcd network

cdda is enabled because I have libcdio (which is not mentioned in the Mingw
HOWTO)
installed. This means that I can use MPlayer to play audio CDs. Otherwise, I
could not.

  Disabled optional drivers:
    Input: vstream pvr radio tv-v4l2 tv-v4l1 libdvdcss dvb smb

pvr, radio, tv-v4l2 tv-v4l1 are disabled because I do not have Video For
Linux installed
(naturally, since I am on Windows).

You will get a lot of "not found" messages, because many of the options
depend on Linux. Other libraries may have been ported to Windows, but you do
not have them installed.

If the configure script says that it was successful, then the next step is
to run "make". Have you actually tried to run make yet?