[MPlayer-users] bugs in MPlayer-1.0pre8

Uwe Bugla uwe.bugla at gmx.de
Mon Sep 25 17:05:08 CEST 2006

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:27:09 +0200
Von: Dominik \'Rathann\' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>
An: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
Betreff: Re: [MPlayer-users] bugs in MPlayer-1.0pre8

> On Friday, 22 September 2006 at 17:30, Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > I like MPlayer very much and I am new to this list.
> > I have found three points to be criticised in latest release 1.0pre8.
> >
> > 1. I am missing the xv output driver because my graphics card (ATI RAGE
> > 128 32 MB RAM) urgently needs it as it is the only one that works fine.
>
> Xv driver is not missing. Why do you say so?
Because I cannot see it in the configuration dialogue if my fantastically functioning TCL/TK script, nor did I manage to get it loaded neither by parameters nor by internal MPLayer configuration dialogue.
Therefore I suspect that xv drivers have been eliminated and do not exist!

> > 2. The graphics drivers are not found if MPlayer is being started from a
> > non-root directory, i. e. any home directory.
>
> Please explain in more detail.
All the necessary files with extension vid.so are not found working under Debian Etch latest snapshot in connection with kernel 2.6.18. MPlayer replies an error message and simply does not start any kind of playback at all. How should it without having appropriate video card drivers???
1.0pre7try2 works fantastic in any way, MPlayer 1.0pre8 is a catastrophe!

> > 3. I am still wondering why
> > - the dvbstream engine has not been updated to latest version 0.6
>
> What do you mean?
Somewhere in a lib-directory a transformed dvbstream-engine for DVB playback is envolved (ported by some "Nico" or so - I guess the directory is called libdvb or so - see yourself!). I guess this should be updated to the latest version 0.6. Perhaps I do not have any problems anyymore then by equally playing a DVB stream and record it at the same time. With xine engine solutions I do not have any problems, but the in-built dvbstream code (version 0.4) in 1.0pre7try2 seems to be too fast to ensure playback and recording at the same time. This is a real pity, isn´t it???

> > - the configure script of MPlayer still looks for DVB /dev/ost- devices
> > which are definitely stonehenge since October 2002.
>
> That's not an error nor a bug.
But these oldstruct drivers are completely obsolete since October 2002!!!!
Even if people use DVB Kernel 2.4 there are so called newstruct drivers available for every supported DVB card that is sold somewhere in the world, and that since October 2002!!! FOUR YEARS!! So there is definitely no reason at all to carry around this reactionary rubbish for some absolutely senseless "downward compatibility" reason!!!

> Regards,
> R.
Regards too
Uwe

> --
> MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
> There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and
> oppression to develop psychic muscles.
> 	-- from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

NEU: GMX DSL Sofort-Start-Set - blitzschnell ins Internet!
Echte DSL-Flatrate ab 0,- Euro* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl