[MPlayer-users] mencode perfect rip

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Sep 25 00:19:24 CEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:42:36AM -0400, Peter Gavin wrote:
> On 9/24/06, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> >What is the command to copy the original mpeg as it was originally
> >muxed?  That's what I'd like to do.  For now I'd like no subtitles,
> >English audio, stereo mix if available, and uncompressed/unconverted
> >audio and video.
>
> Umm, if you want the original mpeg as it was originally muxed, you
> can't pick and choose which substreams you want.  To do that, you'd
> have to remux it.  As someone else mentioned,  mplayer -dumpstream
> dvd://1 -dumpfile movie-title.vob is the closest you'll get.  You get
> every angle, audio language, and subtitle like this though.

However some of the higher level dvd structure is lost. If you want a
"perfect" copy of the dvd, use the 'vobcopy' program or similar which
can rip an exact (except decrypted) image of the whole dvd filesystem.
If what you want is a "perfect encode" than you need to read the
encoding guide. If what you want is a "perfect remux" with just the
selected tracks, etc., then AFAIK there is no existing tool for the
job. MEncoder is a very bad tool for this, in any case.

Rich