[MPlayer-users] mencode perfect rip

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 24 08:29:04 CEST 2006

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 09:37:29PM -0700, Grant wrote:
> I'm trying to rip a DVD with perfect quality before I experiment with
> compression.  I'm using the following but I think I'm seeing
> artifacts:
>
> mencode dvd://1 -o poseidon.avi -oac copy -ovc copy
>
> Is that a perfect rip?

No, not by any means:
- only one audio track will be copied; subtitles are lost.
- video frames will likely be dropped or duplicated to make up for
strange discontinuities in the mpeg stream, causing missing, damaged,
or choppy video
- if the original is soft telecine, the framerate will be messed up
and choppy in the output
- if the original is hard telecine, it will still be telecined (and
probably also messed up, due to the above reasons) in the output.

You either need to copy the original mpeg AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY MUXED
(not remuxing to avi), or reencode with proper settings. Which
settings are proper depends STRONGLY on the nature of the content.
There is no magic formula which works for everything.

> Also, what is your favorite command for a
> rip+compression without noticeable loss of quality?

Read the encoding guide. A lot of work was spent writing it so that
this question would not need to be answered over and over again.

Rich