[MPlayer-users] IS SMP support for X264 decoding possible

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Tue Sep 19 23:49:03 CEST 2006

On 19 Sep 2006 20:59, Rich Felker wrote:
> > That's true... But like always, the ones who care about such a
> > feature should help themselves with their keyboard and code support
> > for it.
>
> I don't think it would help because it would be rejected. Unless they
> can find a way to include _optional_ threads support that can be
> fully left out at compiletime.

Correct me if I'm not right, but, according to mplayer's documentation
it already has a thread support which allows usage serveral CPU cores
(Linux smp-kernel must distribute different threads to different cores
itself):
man mplayer, -lavdopts description:
---
threads=<1-8>
        number of threads to use for decoding (default: 1)
---