[MPlayer-users] IS SMP support for X264 decoding possible

Tue Sep 19 09:18:18 CEST 2006

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2006.09.19 at 03:09:35 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > >x264 doesn't decode at all. ffh264 is the decoder, and no it
> > >doesn't support SMP.
> >
> > Well, there's no reason that MPlayer still can't take advantage of
> > some SMP stuff. For example: decoding audio on the second core, or
> > applying any filters using the second core.
>
> The reason is that it's slower except on SMP, impossible to debug, and
> just ugly.

Well, dual-core cpus rock modern desktops, and soon four-core desktops
cpus will come both from intel and amd... /me thinks argument about
beeing "faster" without threads doesn't apply anymore..

--

Vladimir