[MPlayer-users] Upconverting?

Mon Sep 18 20:05:10 CEST 2006

Hi Grant!

 On 2006.09.18 at 09:19:15 -0700, Grant wrote next:

> >If you want something else, then try explaining what kind of improvement
> >are you waiting for. I can't think of other general "quality
> >improvement" methods that most of people would like other than making
> >picture sharper and making colors more bright and vivid, but the latter
> >has nothing to do with scaling and resolution.
>
> Hello Vladimir!  I'm just trying to determine if a good consumer DVD
> player will yield a better picture on a 1366x768 LCD screen than
> mplayer.  What do you think?

I think mplayer will give better picture (with some postprocessing
filters), but you'll have to use either DVI, analog VGA or YCbCr
component output on your video card, also in the last two cases you'll
have to use good video card and good cables.

Stand-alone dvd player has many advantages over mplayer, but it can't
generate more quality in picture than it already has. The rest is up to
filters and output. Mplayer will win filters part, so quality of outputs
decides it all.

--

Vladimir