[MPlayer-users] Upconverting?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Sep 18 18:10:01 CEST 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:56:09 -0700
Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've read that some consumer DVD players can "upconvert" the
> resolution of DVDs to HD resolutions, and people are reporting that
> this is improving the picure quality.

"Upconverting" is more myth than reality...  Probably due mostly to
people comparing their $30 DVD players, to the $300 progressive-scan
DVD players.

> Can mplayer do that?

Yes and no.  It's really PC hardware (videocard with DVI) that's doing
most of the work.

It's only if you have a progressive display that MPlayer's
specific features matter.  In which case, it does very good IVTC, but
the motion-adaptive deinterlacer is too slow and buggy to be useful
right now (most idiot "experts" on home theatre sites lump those two
together), though most people seem happy with the less-advanced
deinterlacers MPlayer has available.