[MPlayer-users] Optimization for a slow CPU

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 21:03:40 CEST 2006

> I use vidix vo driver on my celeron 366 laptop which has ATI Rage
> Mobility vid card. Command line is just the -vo xvidix or cvidix,
> otherwise defaults. -vo xv is not that much slower but with just 366 I
> need all the performance I can get on that machine.

I just watched United 93 with -framedrop and I didn't seen any dropped
frames at all.  V for Vendetta seems just as good.  However, Da Ali G
Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and 9/11 (documentary) all drop frames.
The framedroppers all seem to be interlaced, and the ones that don't
drop frames don't show any signs of interlacing at all.  Maybe the
interlacing is causing my performance problem.  Would an interlacing
filter help?

> > What kind of a
> > misconfiguration could I have?
>
> Missing MTRR's, slow DVD drive (DMA problems, irq masking, ...) ...?

Can you tell me more about MTRRs for performance or do you have a link?

- Grant