[MPlayer-users] Any Suggestion as to How to Get This NPR File?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 5 02:57:12 CEST 2006

RC writes:
> But more to the point, site-by-site workarounds are all you can hope-for
> right now.
>

> For instance, if you mouse-over that link, it is:
>  javascript:getMedia('ATC', '02-Sep-2006', '5', 'RM,WM');
>
> That sends you to:
> npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCode=ATC&showDate=02-Sep-2006&segNum=5
>
> So, if you bookmark that URL, and substitute those "showDate" and
> "segNum" values, you should be able to get access to any streams on npr.
>
> For cbsnews video, I found that the javascript link contained the full
> URL to the file, so I just wrote-up a simple regex for Privoxy
> (filtering proxy) which stripped the "javascript:xyz(  );" part, giving
> a clickable link to the media file.  Dunno if that trick still works
> these days.  npr isn't quite as easy, but certainly possible to handle
> it's javascript links in the same way.

	Thanks greatly.  I have seen other javascript links on
the NPR site built like that and knew there had to be a way to
use the values provided to getmedia to make a working link.  They
have a "Contact Us" link on their site where I thought about
complaining, but it is conveniently another broken javascript
nonlink.  It's like one of those signs on trucks that has a phone
number one can call to report bad driving if one of the truck
drivers misbehaves.  Just make the sign some non-working number
and you've got the idea.

Martin McCormick