[MPlayer-users] xvidix and gui

Tue Sep 5 00:26:07 CEST 2006

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2006.09.04 at 17:54:57 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 10:36:29PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> > "insmod svgalib_helper.ko". Don't forget that you must use gcc of
> > exactly the same version that was used for compiling your kernel! Also
> > sometimes the same optimization and target options should be used.
> > Actually it sounds like that kind of confict to me.
>
> Can you explain why gcc version should matter?? IMO it doesn't.

How should I know? Just try to compile a module with gcc4 and insert it
into gcc3-compiled kernel, get some strange error and start researching
if you feel like it. I just tell about things I've experienced myself.
The more interesting question is why module compiled with different
optimization than kernel and with different arch options (like i686 vs.
athlon) can give problems, but I don't want to research it either. Rule
is simple - always use same gcc and options. You know, third-party
modules can give enough problems as they are, and doing something to
make situation worse.. well.. just not my style.

--

Vladimir