[MPlayer-users] Full screen mode isn't actually full screen

Brian Dean elzoog at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 02:26:51 CEST 2006

--- The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

> Is there any reason why you not only did not attribute the quote but
> snipped the attribution which was already there?

Laziness.  I wanted to snip out all the stuff that had been said
before by deleting everything from the beginning to the new
stuff, only leaving in the last few replies.

To be honest, I think it's really stupid for emails to add the >
character in front of relies.  I understand that in the old days
of computers, this may have been efficient.  But in actuality, it
would be easier to read if you did the following:

WANDERER
Also, since you quoted my .sig: please note the line consisting of "-- "
at the beginning of it. That is a standard .sig delimiter, and is
treated specially by many mail programs; although it's not essential, it
would be considered polite to put your own .sig behind one as well.

ELZOOG
I will consider that in the future.

ELZOOG (old)
Sorry if this seems stupid, but I downloaded the driver and it
seems to have installed fine (I am running ATI Radeon 9200).  If
I pull up the "Devide Manager" from the menu, I see the ATI
driver listed there. But when I run glxinfo I still get "direst
rendering: no"

WANDERER (old)
In addition to what the other responders have said: the first thing
that sprang to my mind when I saw this was the question "Have you
restarted X yet?". In my experience, a number of GL-related things
are initialized when X is started, and changing the underlying
files won't have a visible effect while the same X is still
running.

ELZOOG (old)
I actually rebooted the computer.  It seems I still have the same
problem that the "device manager" still sees the ATI Radeon 9200 card
but glxinfo still says "direct rendering: no"

WANDERER
Ah, well. It was still a thought.

ELZOOG
And so forth.  As you can see this is easier to read than the > mess
that emails usually produce.  And it has the added advantage that it
doesn't mess up the lines.  A lot of the time, when you add > characters,
email will wrap the lines because of (another stupid rule) the 72
character line wrap rule.

The problem is, I don't want to do all of that editing myself so
it would be nice if someone wrote a program to do it for you.
But I know, it's just easier to write a program that will put
a > in front of all the lines in your reply.

> Only those last two seem likely to be relevant. The fact that they're
> there is a good thing, but it does look like another dead end.

Maybe.

I even tried what this web site says to do:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

But the fglrxinfo command gives

____________________________
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
____________________________

Instead of what the web site gives as the "correct" output.

> >> --
> >>        The Wanderer
> >
> > Your name isn't Bill Devos by any chance is it?
>
> Nope.
>
> There are enough "Wanderer"s around the Internet that I've had to come
> up with quite a variety of fallback names to use where my own is already
> taken. I'm known in various places as Identity, InverseParadox, Alias
> Bongo, and Catholic Bear - that last being a roughly triple-layered
> reference, which very few people are likely to get without explanation.

Too bad.  I used to have a roommate that went by "wanderer" who was
Bill Devos.  Very intelligent guy, but didn't seem to know how to
deal with people very well sometimes.

I used to be a Catholic but now I am an atheist/agnostic.

--
>        The Wanderer
>
> Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with any
> side of it.
>
> Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

"I have to remind myself that I am a privileged intellectual living in a communist country that as a matter of course runs concentration camps for the rebellious, but thinking of Guantanamo Bay it seems not to make much difference."  Daniel Duprie (in China)