[MPlayer-users] libavcodec/tiff.c

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 28 22:08:03 CEST 2006

>The Wanderer wrote:
>
>John Brown wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Maybe it was there all along, but I just noticed it. What is this
>>file used for?
>
>For decoding TIFF images, of course. What else?
>
>In practice, this is probably only used in file specifications such as
>"mf://*.tiff" - i.e., encoding a video from a sequence of images.
>
>--
I suppose that I should have asked the question that I really wanted to ask,
which was:

I have recently discovered the existence of what appears to be a TIFF
decoder in libavcodec. While I am familiar with encoding video from a
sequence of JPEG images, the manual does not say anywhere that TIFF images
may be used in this way, and my attempt to do so failed like this:

C:\PROGRA~1\MULTIM~1\MPlayer\svn\bugreport>mencodersvn mf://*.tif -mf fps=4
-ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -nosound -o test.avi -ofps 15

success: format: 16  data: 0x0 - 0x0
MF file format detected.
[mf] search expr: *.tif
[mf] number of files: 4 (16)
[demux_mf] file type was not set! trying 'type=tif'...
[demux_mf] unknown input file type.
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
===
Cannot open demuxer.

Is the TIFF decoder working? It it is, then I assume that I need a TIFF
library. Does anyone know which library? What else do I need to do?