[MPlayer-users] A-V Synch Delay

RuthLess Konqueror ruthlesskonqueror at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 00:15:10 CEST 2006

Hi ,
       It would be great if someone could give me some insight about acceptable Audio Video Delay for multimedia.

 I have observed the way mplayer computes the A-V delay.

 When playing movies that are on the same machine, the A-V value varies between 3 to 6 ms on the average (provided the system is not loaded).

 However , when I am using streaming services ( rtp streaming)

 mplayer rtsp://192.168.103.2/a.mov

 the A-V delay varies between 300 ms on the average. Note that
 the transport time of the stream is almost zero (i.e. RTT < 1ms) , since the two machines are in the same LAN.

 So I would like to know :

 1. why does the A-V delay vary so much between the two cases ?
 2. What is the acceptable A-V delay ? Is there any standard that the industry follows ?

 Any help/pointers/information is greatly appreciated.

 Thanks
 RK