[MPlayer-users] PVR support

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Fri Oct 20 16:42:44 CEST 2006

Steve Dibb wrote:
> Is there any documentation to get the PVR support working with
> MPlayer?  I searched, and couldn't find anything relevant.
>
> I couldn't even find a list of the requirements to get it working.  I
> know it involves having IVTV installed, or the headers somewhere (I
> think), then you need to have a 2.6.18 kernel.

Just a followup. I got it working, had to install 2.6.18 kernel headers
so MPlayer could compile PVR support against the new V4L2 API.

Here's the recording profile I'm using .. if anyone wants to correct any
errors that'd be great:

[ivtv]
tv=normid=10:device=/dev/video0:width=720:height=480
pvr=abitrate=192:vbitrate=2200000:vpeak=2600000:fmt=dvd:aspect=1
of=mpeg=1
mpegopts=format=dvd
ovc=copy=1
ofps=30000/1001
oac=copy=1

@devs, I found a few bugs, too:

- Not setting width and/or height will cause the card to hang.  I get a
syslog message saying "Oct 19 19:25:26 charlie cx25840 0-0044: 640x65535
is not a valid size!"
- If I don't set "aspect=1", it won't set the aspect ratio.  Not that I
can tell anyway, midentify says "ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000" on all of them,
but dvdauthor won't complain if I do set it.
- It looks like I can't use PVR support and TV support at the same time,
one or the other.  Running mplayer tv:// on my normal PCI TV tuner card
just exits quietly.

There was some other stuff, but I think it was mostly IVTV hanging, and
not mencoder.

Running SVN versions of MPlayer and IVTV on 2.6.18.1 kernel on Gentoo
Linux, amd64.

Steve