[MPlayer-users] GUI = Great, Command Line = Jerky

Joel Turnbull jturnbull at stratacache.com
Fri Oct 13 16:32:25 CEST 2006

Hi all.  I'm running the commande line mplayer and the graphical mplayer
on XP, 1G RAM, 2.9Ghz processor, with onboard video.

Let me start by saying when I run a certain peice of video on the
graphical version of Mplayer, I get great playout.  When I run the same
piece on the command line Mplayer, I always get about 5 seconds of
jerkiness in different places in the clip. So while my problem is not
critical (I can just use the Graphical version) I'm really curious as to
what setting I'm missing here.  I have ruled out hardware, because I do
get a smooth playout in the Graphical Mplayer.

I've tried to match my command line config as closely as I can to my
graphical config, and I've disabled sound in order to rule out A/V
syncing issues (even though the graphical Mplayer plays smoothly WITH
sound). I've copied my confs at the bottom of the post.

Any idea what I'm missing? That is, why, with the same configuration,
does the graphical version run great and the command line version skip
in places?  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

#GRAPHICAL CONF

priority = "normal"
vo_driver = "directx"
v_framedrop = "0"
vo_doublebuffering = "yes"
vo_direct_render = "no"
ao_driver = "dsound"
ao_volnorm = "no"
softvol = "no"
ao_extra_stereo = "no"
ao_extra_stereo_coefficient = "1.000000"
delay = "0.000000"
dvd_device = "D:"
cdrom_device = "D:"
osd_level = "1"