[MPlayer-users] A little Confusion does 64bit mplayer play wmv9?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 09:36:16 CEST 2006

On 10/12/06, tristan clarke <clarkebro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running a 64bit and have stream that from looking at the output seems to
> be playing wmv9 but with ffmpeg and not the the 32codecs.
>
> Researching on the internet seems to bring up some confusion some posts
> imply that 32codecs dont run on the 64bit some posts say that 32bit software
> will run on 64bit could someone clarify this for me please.

Both are correct.

On a 64 bits environment, you can run both 32 bits and 64 bits APPLICATIONS.
A 64 bits application can only link against 64bits libraries (such as
codecs), likewise, 32 bits application can only link against 32bits
libraries.
It's true that in theory, it's possible to write wrappers to use
32bits libs in a 64bits application, but I don't think it's worth the
trouble in most cases.

> As it doesn't seem to be using the 32bit codecs is the only way to install
> the 32bit mplayer?
>
> Requested video codec family [wmv9dmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
> Enable it at compilation.
> Requested video codec family [wmvdmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
> Enable it at compilation.
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> [wmv3 @ 0xcbfc90]Header: 4E491A01
> Selected video codec: [ffwmv3] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg M$ WMV3/WMV9)

wmv3 is supported natively by MPlayer since Kostya wrote a decoder
this summer thanks to Google Summer Of Code.

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!