[MPlayer-users] alsa:adevice - device number?

Hans du Plooy koffiejunkielistlurker at koffiejunkie.za.net
Mon Oct 9 23:21:31 CEST 2006

Hi guys,

I just aquired a USB TV tuner to convert some of my old VHS cassettes to
digital format.  I am using the AV out and audio out on the VCR.  Video
goes into the TV tuner's composite plug, audio straight into the
notebooks audio-in (mic on the mixer).  When I enable Mic and playback
with mplayer -tv it works fine, the sound comes through.  Although not
through MPlayer, just directly through the sound card.  If I kill
mplayer, the sounds till plays on.

Then I set in my mixer the recording device to be Mic, enable capture,
and try mencoder with -tv alsa:hw.0,0 (and 0,1 0,2 etc.) but no joy.

Is there an way to see the numbering of alsa recording devices?

Thanks
Hans