[MPlayer-users] Total Freeze of Mplayer with one movie

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Oct 8 23:09:17 CEST 2006

Uwe Dippel wrote:
> Corey Hickey wrote:
>
>> I guess your xv doesn't like dimensions that aren't round numbers. The
>> original movie is 450x360; 450 is divisible by 2 but not 4, and 360 is
>> divisible by 8 but not 16. 450 is probably the culprit.
>>
>> If you play a different movie with "-vf scale=450:360", it should crash.
>
> Right ! It does ...
>
> I don't agree with you on the 'your xv'. It isn't exactly mine; but
> standard Sarge.

I mean that in a rather general sense. There is no problem for those of
us with similar setups, so the fault probably lies with how your
particular system is handling xv output. I don't know what mplayer is
doing differently from xine, but since mplayer works for us regardless
of the dimensions, the problem is most likely not with mplayer.

It's possible the xv drivers included with Sarge don't play nicely with
newer nvidia drivers; it's possible you have faulty hardware; it's
possible there's a conflict because you used the nvidia-installer
instead of debian packages...

Things like this are hard to diagnose.

>> By the way, your messages will be more readable if you put a blank line
>> between quoted text and your reply.
>
> My excuses, done.

Thanks.

-Corey